Electric Retarders provide increased safety, and economy for fleet vehicles especially vehicles whose normal service duty includes frequent stops and starts.
Understanding Braking Efficiency
Your vehicle brakes are designed to stop a vehicle in a prescribed distance and hold the vehicle only; experienced drivers know that frequent stops and starts cause your brakes to heat up, and hot brakes have less stopping power. If your driving route includes steep grades, or you are carrying a heavy load, friction in the braking components builds up heat faster than it can dissipate. - But you probably knew that already - the question is how do you keep the brakes cool so that you have stopping power when you need it. This is where electronic retarders enter the picture.
What is an Frictionless Braking System?
- A Telma Frictionless Braking System (sometimes called Electro-Magnetic Retarder) is an independent braking system to slow vehicles which means you have a secondary, completely separate braking system that can do up to 85% of the braking while virtually never wearing out in steep grades, and heavy loads.
- Since the frictionless braking provides most of the vehicle's deceleration the foundation brakes remain cool and available for panic stops.
- It is frictionless, virtually mainenance-free and works on the eddy current principle.
- Electro-magnetic retarders easilly install in most trucks, buses, and emergency vehicles.
Who Uses Retarders
For more infomation about electro-magnetic retarders, contact a Danco Sales Representative in your area.
- Public Transit Systems (eg BC Transit in North Vancouver, and Victoria)
- School Boards
- Logging trucks
- Municipalities for waste disposal.
- Refuse Companies.